July 10, 2017
The WKBL held its annual foreign player draft Monday morning Korean time. Teams will still have two foreign players, but the rules changed significantly for this upcoming season as teams will be allowed to play more than one foreign player at a time for some portion of each game. Teams were also allowed to forfeit their first round pick to re-sign one of their players and give them a raise. The Samsung Life Blue Minx used this mechanism to bring back Alyssa Thomas.
The draft was shown on Facebook Live this year: Video
The lottery was conducted first to determine the order of the other five teams. As usual, it was a snake draft with the Blue Minx getting their only pick at the end of the draft. The first sign of a change in draft strategy came with the second pick, where Winnus opted for Jewell Loyd, knowing that they could pair her with a post player later, when they picked Chante Black. A number of veterans of the league were picked again as Kayla Thornton, Tianna Hawkins, and Monique Currie returned to the league and Shekinna Stricklen came back after time elsewhere. Teams also continued to look to some new blood with the option to re-sign players favoring teams that could find younger players. With the new rules, this season will certainly shape up to being more intriguing than recent years.
1. KEB Hanabank – Isabelle Harrison
2. KDB Life Winnus – Jewell Loyd
3. Shinhan Bank S-Birds – Kayla Thornton
4. KB Stars – Damiris Dantas
5. Woori Bank Wibee – Shekinna Stricklen
6. Samsung Life Blue Minx – forfeited to sign Alyssa Thomas
1. Woori Bank Wibee – Tianna Hawkins
2. KB Stars – Monique Currie
3. Shinhan Bank S-Birds – Reshanda Gray
4. KDB Life Winnus – Chante Black
5. KEB Hanabank – Jazmon Gwathmey
6. Samsung Life Blue Minx – Kayla Alexander